I have been planning to try my hand at 'square foot gardening', so yesterday I finally bought all the required ingredients. First of all I had to mix equal parts of peat moss, organic compost and vermiculite. That needs to be about six inches deep. Then Warren made me a grid. There are 24 12X12 grids in which to plant, plus some extra large ones at the end for the squash. So far I have 4 tomato plants, 2 squares of bush bean seeds, two of radishes, two of spinach and four mounds of yellow squash seeds. About two to three weeks after they sprout I will add a second crop of the above mentioned vegetables for a longer harvest time. I am also going to plant some herbs and lots of flowers in the rest of my 52 foot planter. In addition I rescued 35 yellow snapdragon starts that came up from seed. I planted those in little peat pots and will set them in the planter when I know what other flowers I need to got with them. That will happen in the next couple of weeks, I hope. I'll try to keep you posted on how my garden is doing. I'm excited to finally be giving it an honest try.
;0)
My Square Foot Garden
The Yellow Snapdragon Sets
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
My Garden
Posted by Tricky Trix at 1:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Looks good. We're going to start some veggies this week. What's the concept behind the "Square Foot" garden?
Lookin good... I hope you have more luck than we did. I'll be watching for updates :)
Post a Comment